Friday, July 30, 2010

How important is religion in your romantic relationships?

I tried to have relationships with men that had different beliefs than I do, but they didn't work. Even if we complimented each other in most other aspects, our religious differences were a breaking point. I am an atheist. I just couldn't have a serious relationship with someone who believed in God, and they couldn't be with someone who didn't. What about you? What has your experience been?How important is religion in your romantic relationships?
My experiences are similar. I am a Christian and, although I wouldn't require my mate to be a Christian, I doubt that there would be a long term relationship if she were a monk or an athiest.





It's not that I think they would be less of a person because they don't share my beliefs, but it would be a serious point of friction between the two of us.How important is religion in your romantic relationships?
most of the time it doesn't work when individuals of two different doctrines but same religion get involved and chances are that two people of two totally different beliefs or religions wont last either





especially if the main key point they both argue is the existence of GOD.





best to find some one who believes the way you do
I've heard an argument, that often times, the love of god makes up for the lack of romantic love. People throughout history have replaced god with a true mate. Think about how we treat our gods: we speak highly of them no matter what, we praise them and admire them, we write about them often poetically and if anyone insults them, we get upset and defend them to the death. Sounds like true love to me. I would do those things for my wife!





I have never been in a serious relationship, but it must be tough for you - for anyone - to be close to someone who's first true love is an imaginary old man in the sky.
You're asking a complex question with no simple answer. I've seen 'mixed' (religion) marriages last a lifetime and I've seen to congregants of a specific church grow to dislike each other enough to have to separate or divorce. So, if you're looking for a fool-proof method of finding a life partner, looking locally is usually best...at least you share something in common. If you're trying to date/marry someone who has no belief system (or atheist), it's probably not going to work long term. I believe strongly enough myself not to let someone...anyone...else's opinion of spirituality affect mine...however, if you don't like going to religious events and services alone, you'll need to find someone who will at least go-along to get-along...:)
that is a good question, and i must say that i could not and would not be in a relationship with someone who had different beliefs than i do. there is no possible way that it would work. what could we possibly have in common. that is like saying a Christian could have a successful marriage with a drug addict. How can the relationship work if one person is at church and the other one is at the dope house?
Here's God's message to believers..





';Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers, for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? And, what communion hath light with darkness? ...... Or, what part hath he that believeth with an infidel? .....'; (2 Corinthians 6:14-18)





For obedient Christians, social, business partnerships, and marital relationships are forbidden, and the reasons are clear.





However, personal relationships are encouraged for the purpose of leading lost people to Christ.
I'm pagan and it's very important. My spirituality impacts my life on a daily basis. For awhile I thought that as long as a boyfriend was pagan-friendly and I didn't have to hide my beliefs, that a relationship could work. I respect whatever path others choose to follow. However, that is no longer enough. I want a man with whom I can share this important part of who I am.
My husband is an atheist and I am a polytheist.


I was agnostic when we got married and we have had to do some seriousl adjusting. I demand nothing but respect and as long as he is willing to give it we are all right. I don't think that it's too much to ask.
The Bible says not to be unequally yoked with an unbeliever. He obviously said it because it ';IS'; important. So, if it causes problems for the believer, I'm sure it would also cause problems for the unbeliever too. Before I was Saved I would have never dated a Christian, it just wouldn't have happened. But, now, I will not date someone who does not Love God. Peace!
Its a very personal thing. If you feel that strongly and things have not worked out in the past, then you need to concentrate on partners with your same beliefs. Have you tried joing a group/organization that espouses your beliefs to meet people you would be compatible with?
My opinion is that a marriage to a person with the same religious beliefs is sufficiently challenging. A marriage between two people with differing religious beliefs is like starting with a serious handicap, it is not impossible, but definitely more difficult.
I'm an atheist and probably could not deal with a christian....especially quoting scripture, saying they love me, but hate my ';sin';, or push their religion on me.


My best friend is Christian and we do put up with eachother, but can't deal with it in a relationship.
A lot of people profess not believing in God. I personally do not believe their statements..I dont just believe in God I know God exist..It is not necessary that you believe.You are going to heaven with the rest of us anyway..This is one of the few choices we cannot make in life. Thank God. You can read Conversations with God by Neale Donald Walsch to prove to yourself that He exists and you at the same time can solve your relationship problems.. God bless
The very first thing I look for in a man is if he is a Christian. I will not date someone who does not believe along the lines I do. I'm even careful with what denomination I date. I've found this saves a lot of frustration and heartache.
It usually isn't an issue. I ignore religion, but were I to discover it was that much a part of someone's life that she based all of her decisions on it, I'd walk away. Life is too short.
I would not have a relationship with a woman who did not believe in God. Spirituality is the foundation that keeps people together when all else fails. Notice I did not use the word ';religion.';
very important. I woudn't want a relationship with a person who didn't believe in God. God comes first and he is important.
Well, most of my boyfriends have been Jewish, however, I would really love to marry someone who is Catholic or Orthodox Christian.
I'm a Christian dating an atheist and it doesn't bother either one of us. Just don't focus your relationship on religious views.
I'm married. There are no romantic relationships.
It's the back bone of any relationship.
very important
Shamefully, I haven't had a girlfriend in a long time, so I don't know.
atheist,,and I married a Mormon girl,,,no problem at all


never even had to go in a church
How can two walk together as one unless they agree on this central issue.
interesting question


i too am an atheist.


not many girls in my area and atheist... but all i know is u and me would get along juuust fine


=]

No comments:

Post a Comment