Friday, November 25, 2011

I've heard that sexual fidelity isn't as important in homosexual relationships as it is in hetero ones. True?

I was reading that open relationships are more common among lesbians -- and especially gays -- and wanted to know if that's true. That an affair in a hetero relationship often ends it, but not so in gay and lesbian relationships.I've heard that sexual fidelity isn't as important in homosexual relationships as it is in hetero ones. True?
Before I retired from providing psychotherapy and sex therapy to the lesbian and gay community, I routinely asked my gay male clients if they would prefer to be in an open relationship or a closed relationship. After about 14 or 15 years of gathering this informal information, I found that about 60% of gay men said that they would prefer to have open relationships. Only 40% said that they would prefer closed relationships.





I was invited to speak before a group of my colleagues once and I reported this informal poll to them. One of the straight male psychotherapists in the audience responded, ';I suspect that if I took a similar poll of my straight male clients, I would get much the same results. I don't think that it has anything to do with being gay. I think that it's a male thing.';





So there you are!





It would probably be interesting to conduct some formal research on this question and see what the truth is.I've heard that sexual fidelity isn't as important in homosexual relationships as it is in hetero ones. True?
No, not true.


Where did you read that?


I would say its rubbish. Fidelity is important in all relationships, gay and/or straight. I've known more straight people with open relationships. I wouldn't say sexual orientation is as much a factor as the couple itself. (I'm sure ANY guy wouldn't mind an open relationship.)


An affair should end -any- relationship... gays and straights are equally guilty of not ending a relationship because of cheating though. Lots of suckers buy a sorry story and sorry face. :(
I think the diference is that some gay and lesbian relationships are open but i think that society focuses a lot more on th open relationship then the closed relationships. But then again....more of my hetero friends have open relationships then my gay (or lesbian) friends.






Apparently not as important in straight relationships either it seems. I'll bet you a significant portion of those divorces ended because or included infidelity. Believe me infidelity can also lead to a lot of gay or lesbians divorcing when same-sex marriages get legalized.
It was certainly the case with the 3 gay men I have known. I have also heard that from various sources, many of whom are psych/sociology students. As it's been explained to me, I believe it.
No, it's complete bollocks spread by the louder gay folk as well as the stereotype spread by media representations of LGBT people.





Trust me, fidelity is as important in ANY relationship.
David s has an excellent answer yet again. I'm curious, how did the lesbians answer the same poll? I'm not interested in open relationships for the record : - )
No the people are just as varied as in straight communities, some preferring monogamy and others open relationships no real difference.
gay and lesbian relationships end as whale


just visit-


http://deepakgiria.blogspot.com/






I've heard that too but this is so not the case with me. When I found out that my ex cheated on me (nearly a year after the fact) I flipped a ****!
Cheating is wrong...no matter who.


PS: thats such bull. i always see the straight people cheating and the couples end up getting back together...you may want to stop reading whatever your reading.
There are a lot of things I could say about this, but most of it would probably be miss understood. With that said David S. hit it straight on.
Not true. Stop spreading lies.
No, it's not true.
I've heard that too...Yah I think it's true......

No comments:

Post a Comment